Elder Ryan R. Nunez

Costa Rica San Jose Mission
September 2008 - September 2010

Monday, February 16, 2009

Last Week with Depriet


Glad to hear that everything has been pretty tranquilo this last week. My week was pretty good too. =) Tuesday, I went on divisions with my other zone leader Elder Howell, which was pretty fun. He was a little scared of getting robbed so he didn`t take much with him when we were out working, but it was a decent work day. Thursday I was with another elder in my district, Elder Clark, because Elder DePriest is district leader and needed to do a baptismal interview. I was a little worried about working with Elder Clark just because he gave the impression of being a Negative Nancy, but we had a good time working together and it was definatly a blast to have in lessons. Elder DePriest started packing on Saturday. I can`t say enough about how much he`s helped me out in my first 3 months here. I dropped DePriest off at the mission home this morning, and Elder Howell dropped of Elder Campbell as well. I`m gonna miss them both, they`ve been so cool, but it`s part of the mission. For the next 3 days I`m gonna be with Elder Howell until Thursday, and then I`ll get my new comp. My guess, my next comp will be a latino, but we`ll see what happens.
One of the investigators Elder DePriest and I have been teaching over the past 2 months has been on my mind lately. His name is Eric, and he`s a really cool guy, knows the doctrine way too well, but he over-thinks things a bit and has a lot of doubts. More or less I can use some prayers on this one, he`s a great guy but the trick is getting him to feel. =)
In other news, I forgot to mention that Elder Madsen (from the MTC) went home 2 weeks ago. His eardrum blewout in the MTC and then here in Costa Rica he just got ridiculously ill. They couldn`t figure out what`s wrong with him here, so they sent him home. If they can fix him, Madsen might be sent back here or sent stateside, but either way it`s a sad story. =(
Reading over one of Tylan`s last emails I couldn`t help but laugh about his new fettish for ties. That comes with the mission. When the tie is the only thing you can change day after day after day, you learn to love ties. Elder DePriest had some 40 ties, half of which are now mine since he`s homeward bound. The favorite brand of tie here is called a Wembley. There`ll all polyester, which is necessary in Costa Rica cause silk ties get owned in the rain, and most of them look pretty cool. My collection isn`t that big, I have maybe 20 some ties, which is more or less what I had back home. Elder Clark has 138 ties, but none of them are really that good. If anything I`ve learned 3 ways to be remembered in the mission. 1) Baptize like crazy, 2) Be inicuo as dump, or 3) Have really nice ties. =D ¿Qué mas?
Have I mentioned anything about the fruit here? There are some pretty different fruits, and me being a fruity kinda guy am enjoying the variety. Guanabana is my favorite by far. I wish we had this in the states. Picture a pineapple without the green leafy stuff on top and the outside is a dark green. The inside is white and it`s SO GOOD. I love me some guanabana smooties. =D Mangos are pretty good here too. Whenever I pass through San José centro I grab a mango for the bus ride home. Mmmmm...mango... I had sugar cane for the first time Wednesday. It looks like a long wooden stick, not gonna lie. You don`t eat the stuff, you just chew on it and all this sweet, SWEET juice comes out. It`s ridiculously sweet, but it was quite the treat.
Oh yeah, you`ll find this funny. DePriest was breaking out some US money last night and he found some quarters. He threw one to me and I was like "FREAK! Why is it so small? Why did I use to think quarters were big???" A quarter is like the size of a 10 colones coin here. It definately weirded me out for a moment.
All right well I better jet. Thank you thank you thank you thank you for sending the insoles! =D =D =D =D =D =D And no worries about the package, emails and snail mail are blessings enough. Tell everyone I love them and that I miss them. And thank you for sending the words to the song...not gonna lie I kinda teared up as I read it...
Your Son,
Elder Núñez

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like Ryan is having a ball. I sent a copy of this letter on to Tylan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recognized one of the Missionaries from the picture http://eldertobler.blogspot.com/ Who has being in Costa Rica since January 2009, I enjoy reading Elder Nunez letters it help me learn a litle bit more about my son's surroundings. Thank you for posting them!

    ReplyDelete