Elder Ryan R. Nunez

Costa Rica San Jose Mission
September 2008 - September 2010

Monday, April 12, 2010

Spring Break on the Mission

Hey family, I hope everyone´s been enjoying Spring Break. This week has been pretty loaded for us. Sunday I had the opportunity to baptize Yurico. After every baptism it really does justify every rejection we meet day in and day out. The rest of the week has been filled with service projects. I´ve never done so much service in a single change, but with Elder Rodriguez´s background in construction a whole lot of opportunities have opened up for us. Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday we helped lay a cement floor for Yurico and her mom. Yesterday we built a closet for Ulises and Iraydelis. Last week we also repaired a few of this tico rocking chairs too. It´s been pretty busy.

Sunday a member came to us and said that she wanted her son to be baptized. They´re an active family, they just got lazy and didn´t baptize the son when he was 8. He turned 9 on Monday, and they wanted to have the baptism today (Friday). Long story short Elder Holt had to come down from Guacimo to do the baptismal interview Wednesday (which the family was an hour late to), and I spent Wednesday out in Guacimo with Elder Duncan.
While out in Guacimo we visited a recent convert family and after a little while talking they asked me where I was from. When I said I was from the states they were all really surprised. =P The mom was like "Are you serious? I thought you were from Panama or something!" I kind of laughed, I´m pretty sure I sound pretty gringo in my spanish, but when stuff like that happens it does make me feel good about how far I´ve come.
I´m not gonna lie, I´m not all too pumped about this baptism. The family is active, the kid´s been in the church his whole life, we don´t even need to teach the kid and to tell the truth I didn´t bother trying to. There´s a lot of missionaries that would be like "9 year old kid. Perfect. We´ll teach him everything in one go just to count him as our baptism." ...I´m the complete opposite. If I baptize, it should be to fortify the branch or ward I´m in. If the family was less-active, I would´ve taken the time to teach not just the kid but the FAMILY, strengthening the church. But this baptisim is just like a niño-inscrito. It really should have anything to do with us, but because the kid has 9 years old it falls on our shoulders.
I really have a hard time with stuff like this. It just goes back to the days before Pres. Gálvez, when the missionaires we´re baptizing for numbers and nothing else.

Tomorrow we´re headed to Limón for General Conference. We´re spending the night in Elder Litchfield´s house. =D This will be the 3rd time I watch Conference with Elder Lichfield. =P It´s gonna be a great weekend. Elder Holt and I decided this is the first Spring Break we´ve had in the mission. We have today (Friday) off because of the Semana Santa. Saturday and Sunday are General Conference, of which Pres. Gálvez wants us watching all the sessions (I love a mission president who loves us), and Monday is P-Day once again. 4 days off rest. It`s a beautiful thing. =P

Alright I gotta jet and eat something. I love you all and I hope you enjoy Conference! I´ll be sure to write on Monday. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment