Elder Ryan R. Nunez

Costa Rica San Jose Mission
September 2008 - September 2010

Monday, April 12, 2010

The Promptings of the Spirit

This week I´ve been trying my best to do what needs to be done, despite my companions lack of enthusiasm. And because of that, the fruits of my labours have started to come forth.

I´ve been trying to pay more attention to the promptings of the Spirit these last few weeks. With my companion yelling and screaming all the time, it doesn´t matter where we are, trying to think for myself just doesn´t work. So I´ve been learning to rely more on the Spirit than ever.
Tuesday night we passed by one of our investigators, Yurico, who we´ve been visiting for a while now. She´s been in the same situation as a lot of people here: she wants to be baptized, but she´s living with a guy and not married. She´s 20, he´s 19. He doesn´t work, and he´s a nicaraguan who´s here illegally. Just so you know the back story to this, we´ve tried to help the guy get his residency papers, but he doesn´t care and keeps blowing us off.
Tuesday night was planned as the make or break with her. Pres. Gálvez gave me some advice on what we can do to help her along, and I put it in practice. We covered the Law of Chastity again, making the seriousness of the matter pretty clear and that the decision to change was in her hands, no one can make that choice for her. I invited her to pray, morning and night, and to give us an answer Saturday. Wednesday my district leader, Elder Holt, and one of the assistants, Elder Richardson, came to Siquirres to do some blitz divisiones in the area. My companion went with Elder Holt to visit some new investigators we needed to contact, and I took off for the other side of town with Elder Richardson in search of new people to teach. Knocking doors hadn´t been all that successful, and I had a feeling we needed to visit Yurico again. We weren´t too far from her house, so we passed by. I had a feeling to share about the "Sense of Urgency" Pres. Gálvez had talked with me about, and although Elder Richardson was completely lost with the screaming of little kids all over the place, I managed to keep Yurico listening to every word as I shared with her a few scriptures I felt she needed to hear. When I was done, she told me she had received her answer. Yesterday (Sunday) she talked with her boyfriend and told him to leave. I put a baptismal date with her for this coming Sunday, the 28th. I´ve never felt better in my life.
Apart from that, that same night we passed by a member´s home, Hna. Darla, to receive a reference. I had wanted to pass by Tuesday, but we didn´t have any time during the day. I insisted we pass by Wednesday, but I didn´t tell Hna. Darla why until we got to the house. Since Tuesday morning I had the impression this hermana knew someone we needed to visit, and as I explained this to her I asked if she could offer a simple prayer in asking who this person might be. She did so, and not wasting a moment she told us of a family that she had wanted the missionaries to visit for quite some time. We passed by the family the following day, and we´re passing by again tomorrow.

Along with the good news comes a new situation as well. Friday night the family Elder Logan and I baptized told me that when I leave, they won´t receive the missionaries anymore. They not gonna drop the Church or anything like that, but they can´t feel the Spirit with Elder Rodriguez around. I can´t blame them, seeing how he didn´t pay any attention to the lesson as he watched Motocross on the TV and screaming like a child. The family even told him to his face he didn´t act like a missionary, to which he got really offended. After we left the house I explained the situation to Rodriguez, and told him to shape up and grow up. He asked me why when only one family has a problem with him, and I had to lay out the truth that it´s not just one family that´s said this to me, it´s almost a dozen. It´s hard when half the ward tells you they don´t want you to pass by because they don´t want your companion in their house.

Alright, that´s about all that´s been happening around here. This week we have Zone Conference, and I also get to learn how to make a typical food found only here in Limón. Hopefully I can get it down so I can make it back home for you guys. =P

I love you all and I hope you have a great week. Tell Ashley to hang in there, not too much more to go. If I can hold out, I know she can. And by that I mean 18 MONTHS!!! ...Yeah, I still don´t feel too old. Maybe when I hit the 20. =P

Tu Hijo,
Elder Nunie

No comments:

Post a Comment