Elder Ryan R. Nunez

Costa Rica San Jose Mission
September 2008 - September 2010

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Flood Sunday

Lots has happened this week so hopefully I don´t forget anything. Wednesday we had Zone Conference and President Gálvez announced us all Family History workers because not one of our branches/wards have someone with that calling. We went right to it, making copies of the genealogy...registros...I don´t know how to say registros in english...that´s just flat out SAD. Anyway, I´ve been using my own family tree I brought with me as we´ve been teaching the recent converts. Also, the Hermana Gálvez had us discuss within our districts new ways to find more families to teach. Elder Holt brought up an idea he had mentioned at the start of March, and then I had to present our plan to the zone. I felt kind of bad because it was Elder Holt´s idea, but I was the one called on to present it. You know me, I don´t even take credit for my OWN ideas, let alone the ideas of others. Anyways we´re going to put that plan into action this week. I´ll give you more details on that after we´ve started with it.
After Zone Conference we had divisions, and I was working in my area with Elder Duncan from San Diego. He´s a pretty quiet kid, but he´s super cool. For only having 6 months in the mission his spanish isn´t half bad. The accent comes with time, but he has no problem saying what he wants and getting his point across. For not have had a latino companion yet he´s doing pretty well.
Friday we repaired 2 more rocking chairs for another family. I ended up doing one of the chairs, which didn´t turn out half bad for the first time...at least I want to think so... =P On Saturday two families from our branch were sealed in the temple. It was really cool to talk with one of the families after they got back. Saturday morning we spent the day painting a roof for one of the recent convert families here, a service of which we had to finish today (wasn´t much of a P-Day, but oh well).

Sunday morning was a headache. At 7:30 a.m. we were passing by the church on our way to pick up a family of investigators. As we passed the church, I noticed water leaking from the door to the sacrament room. We went inside to investigate, and to my horror, the place was flooded up to our ankles. How or why I do not know, but I´m pretty sure it was a gift for my 600th day in the mission. At least I like to think of it like that. We spent some 5 minutes trying to run the water out, but there was just so much I knew we needed to call the branch president. We ran to our ward mission leader´s house to use his cell phone, but the branch president didn´t answer. We ran back to the chapel just as the branch secretaries were pulling up. We opened up all the doors and began draining the place, my companion grabbing a folding table at one point to run the water out the doors. One by one as members arrived they began to help drain the water. By 9 a.m. the sacrament room was dry, and with chairs out and ready, we miraculously started on time. By the time sacrament meeting was over, the rest of the chapel had dried as well. We didn´t find out WHY the chapel had flooded, but just to see EVERYONE roll up their sleeves and start helping was really cool to see. Some branch unity I haven´t seen in my 6 months here in Siquirres. As I said when all was said and done, "Just another story for the Ensign."

After church we had a very special baptism take place. A man who had be excomunicated 10 years ago finally got the okay to be re-baptized, and there were some 40 members present for it. I won´t lie, it did bring back some old memories.

Alright, I gotta jet, shower, and get ready to work again. Changes are on Monday, so we´ll be getting a phone call Thursday or Friday about what´s what. I don´t see myself leaving just yet. My companion actually has better chances of getting switched out. But just as Elder Holt told me last night, "With President Gálvez, it´s impossible to predict Changes."

I love you all and I hope you have a great week. Take care and I´ll write back next week. ¡Ciao!

Tu Hijo,
Elder Nunie

No comments:

Post a Comment