Elder Ryan R. Nunez

Costa Rica San Jose Mission
September 2008 - September 2010

Monday, May 3, 2010

Festival de la Jama

Alright, glad to hear everything´s going well back home and that Ashley was able to enjoy her senior prom afterall. =D Thanks for the pictures. Everyone´s gonna be asking me if Dad´s in the military, but I´ll get a good laugh out of it. Everyone´s really against the military in this country, more out of ignorance than anything else.

This last week went by really fast. Wednesday I had divisions with Elder Holt out in Guacimo. Elder Holt is super funny, we had some pretty fun divisions together. Elder Holt spent 6 months in the mission office as secretary, so we spent a lot of time talking about what it would take to convert our areas (which are branches right now) to wards. Guacimo is a lot further along than Siquirres, but we´re not too far off the mark either. To be a ward, we need an assistance of 85 in church and 15 Melchizedek priesthood holders. We average 60 to 65 on assistance, and we have 10 worthy priesthood holders. Yesterday we had 80 in church, which almost made my heart stop. Elder Holt and I developed a decent plan, which includes finding and baptizing 6 new families within the next year. Sunday I met with the Branch President to explain our plan and to put together another actividad misional. Although Pres. Acuña didn´t exactly grasp the whole 6 NEW families (he just kept talking about inactives who have more than 6 to 10 years of being inactive), with the activities I have in mind, we can definately get the ball rolling on this. I won´t be here to see it happen, but I can do my part to help form the first stake outside the San José Valley.

The branch activity we had Saturday was about half a success. No one really participated in bringing food (it was pretty much a potluck kind of deal), but plenty of people showed and we did at the end get a couple references. I made 3 banana cream pies, but annoyingly I had to make the crust for the pies (I´m lazy and I wanted to just buy them made, but of course I can´t do that here). The crust turned out okay, not bad for the first time. The filling was great though, everyone like it and just about the whole Relief Society asked me for the recipe, which made me laugh. I won´t lie, as I took a bite of one of those pies all I could think was "...I´ll be home for Thanksgiving...I´ll be home for Thanksgiving...I´ll be..." =P

The fruit of our labors were apparent Sunday with 80 in church and a handfull of investigators present. I´m trying to raise the bar and keep things moving forward. 3 weeks left in the change. I´m not sure how this will play out. I told one of the zone leaders today that I can pull off another change in Siquirres easily, but I can´t do it with Elder Rodriguez. Teaching with Elder Holt on Wednesday was the first time I´d felt the Spirit in a lesson for the last 2 months. That´s not good.

Alright I gotta jet but I want you guys to know I love you and that I´m doing well. I´ll be calling you guys Sunday after church like we did last year. I´ll be in the house after 12:30ish, so I´ll give you guys a call around 1 p.m. If you´re not home at that time, then I´ll call again around2 p.m. The number´s the same as it was for Christmas. I told you I´d still be here, but you didn´t believe me. =P

Alright I gotta go. ¡Ciao!

Tu Hijo,
Elder Nunie

No comments:

Post a Comment