Elder Ryan R. Nunez

Costa Rica San Jose Mission
September 2008 - September 2010

Monday, November 30, 2009

Vegan Thanksgiving?

I´m glad to hear you were able to spend Thanksgiving as a family, I thought about you guys a lot that day. I actually ending up having a great Thanksgiving despite the fact of being away from home. Wednesday one of the american families in the ward, the Dorsey Family, invited us over for Thanksgiving dinner Thursday. About ten minutes after talking with them Elder Muñoz turned to me and said "Elder, the Dorseys don´t eat meat. They´re vegetarians!"

Easy enough said we spent the greater part of our walking time brainstorming what vegetarians eat for Thanksgiving. =P

However, when we got to the house Thursday we found a full-sized turkey and a HUGE amount of food set out, as well as a dozen Peace Corps volunteers who had been invited as well. =P After explaning a little about what we do as missionaries (and a short few rounds of Apples2Apples) dinner was finally ready. A few of the Peace Corps girls starting asking more about our lives as missionaries and one girl was in absolute shock when I mentioned I hadn´t talked with my family since May. =P Then there was the one hour of internet a week to write our families, the 9 p.m. curfew, and the nice thick missionary handbook with all our rules. I was just laughing at their reactions, because honestly after 14 months in the mission this stuff doesn´t even phase me. It´s just another part of life for me. =P

Thanksgiving dinner was amazing, partially to the fact I didn´t HAVE Thanksgiving last year. The number of pies/variety of course ´didn´t amount to the Thanksgivings I know and love, but all in all it was a great Thanksgiving. Definitly something I will remember for a long, long time.

Sunday was the Primary presentation in sacrament meeting. I only have one thing to say about that: I´m glad to see some things don´t change no matter where you are. =P

No I haven´t got the package you sent yet, I´m hoping I will next Monday. A week from today we have changes meeting, and with 6 months in Escazú Elder Muñoz is pretty sure he´s out, even though he doesn´t want to spend Christmas in a new area. Anything´s possible, but whether we have changes or not I still want to go to changes meeting. If only for the mail. =P

Alright I gotta jet and get ready for work. I love you all and I hope you have a great week. Take care, be safe, and know that I´m doing fine in Tico Land. =D

Tu Hijo,
Elder Nunie

No comments:

Post a Comment