Elder Ryan R. Nunez

Costa Rica San Jose Mission
September 2008 - September 2010

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Baptized...in a Pool?

Wow sounds like things have been pretty busy lately. My week was pretty hectic as well, but I´ll definately learned to just deal with things better when all goes wrong. =P

Our Ward Mission Leader, Rand Layton, and his family moved back to the states Saturday. Rand helped us out a lot really and it won´t be the same here without him. Hopefully we´ll get another awesome ward mission leader but we´ll see what happens.

With that being said this week was flat out insane. The bishop announced the baptism we had planned wrong and we had to try to throw things together fast. Well, it´s not that he announced it wrong, bishop just announced it when he wanted it done: after church Sunday, when we had it planned for Saturday. I understand WHY bishop wanted it that way, but Pres. Gálvez told us flat out the baptizing and confirming on Sundays is a habit this ward needs to end, and as far as I´m concerned my president overrides the bishop on this. Pres. Gálvez has the keys to direct the work in Costa Rica, what he says goes in my book. So after a week of the bishop not answering our calls Thursday night we finally got a hold of him to let him in on the plans we had made since he wouldn´t answer his cell (why have a phone if you don´t answer it???).
We had made some calls and since the chapel here in Escazú is finally underconstruction, the second counselor in the bishopric, Hno. Dorsey, gave us the okay to have the baptism in his family´s private pool. It all went more or less smoothly. =P The Dorsey´s phones didn´t work all day Saturday, so there was some confusion as to whether or not we would have the baptism at their house or not. But, we had the service, people showed, and we had the baptism.
The bishop still isn´t happy with us shooting down his tradition, but I told him if he has any problems to talk to my president. I did my job and Harvin got baptized, that´s all I can ask for.

Thursday or Friday a small quake surprised us around 3 p.m. It wasn´t nearly as strong as the one I experienced last January, but it was still pretty cool. =P

Oh yeah, and apparently everyone and their MOM has Facebook here. Literally ALL the members communicate by Facebook, bishop and all the leaders included. ...that´s just a little weird to me...yeah...

Alright well I don´t have much else about this week. The Zone Leaders asked me the design something for the zone t-shirts they want to do, so I need to throw that together real quick. I love you all and I hope you have a great week. Tell Logan he better work on his cooking skills because I´m gonna want something amazing when I get home. =P Tell Grandpa and Grandma I say hi as well. =)

¡Hasta luego!

Tu Hijo,
Elder Nunie

No comments:

Post a Comment