Elder Ryan R. Nunez

Costa Rica San Jose Mission
September 2008 - September 2010

Monday, November 2, 2009

Feliz Noche de Brujas

I´ll start off with some things I forgot to mention last week. =)
I found out last week my mini-missionary companion from Cañas, Elder Zuñiga, finally got reassigned to a new mission. He left for Panana about a month ago, but before he left he got the chance to baptize his dad. Miracles really do come true. =)

Last week started out with a scare. Our investigator Kenia was in the hospital last Monday for 3rd degree burns. She was cooking and a huge glass thing of hot, burning oil shattered and burned her arms and her stomach. Oddly enough, this insane and, I´d imagine, painful accident somehow brought Kenia and her menos activo boyfriend Serigo closer. Their relationship has taken a 180 and Kenia said if they´re going to get married, she wants it to happen before the end of November. We´re working slowly bu surely with Sergio, I pray we can make this happen.
We had a baptism planned for this coming Saturday, but I changed the date for the 14th. Sunday came and I just felt something telling me it wasn´t time yet, we still need one more week with the kid. His name is Jarvin, and he´s the younger brother of the muchacho Muñoz and I baptized when I first got to Escazú, Janiel. Jarvin´s a great kid and understands everything perfectly, we just need a little more time for him to drop the coffee habit. =P

Saturday night the ward had a Halloween activity at the church. Well I should say HALF the ward had a Halloween activity. Halloween has a very different feeling to it in Costa Rica. The Catholic Church has a lot of influence here, and due to that influence Halloween is seen as a strictly satanic holiday that should not be celebrated by most all Ticos. Now, a good half of the Escazú Ward are gringos, and for us Halloween is a night just to goof off and have fun. We definately saw the division between the bishop and his friends, and those who are not friends with the bishop on this one. It´s been...interesting to see the fall out from the activity. Hopefully nothing ugly happens.

Today is Elder Muñoz´s cumpleaños! We went to the largest mall in Costa Rica (which of course is in my ridiculously rich area) with the rest of the district and hung out there for a bit. I bought Muñoz a little Superman Hotwheels car (he´s a big Superman fan, but it´s okay, that´s why we have repentance). All in all it was fun and chill, just the way I like it. We have a few citas with members tonight in celebration. I get to enjoy Elder Muñoz´s birthday just like Elder Zuñiga got to enjoy mine. It´s a great thing. =D

Alright, well I better get ready to jet. I love you all and I hope you have a great week! Take care, know that I´m doing fine and loving life, and I´ll talk to ya next week!

Tu Hijo,
Elder Nunie

P.D.- Elder Muñoz and I have started to play Slug Bug. I think he likes playing just because of my reaction when I lose. =P

P.P.D.- Oh yeah! Andy Call should be coming home this week!!!! You should call his family just to be sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment