Elder Ryan R. Nunez

Costa Rica San Jose Mission
September 2008 - September 2010

Monday, July 6, 2009

These Are The Times That Try Mens Souls

Nothing special to report on my 4th of July. Just work as usual for us. Elder Maradiaga is suffering from mid-mission crisis has I´ve started calling it. He just doesn´t have the desire to work, and I´m running out of ideas on how to animate the guy. All I can do is get my contacts in for the day, and try to keep him from visiting the same menos activo family more than twice a week. Still haven´t found a family...but my comp hasn´t wanted to go looking either. It´s more of a disappointment than disheartening for me. I want to work, and work hard. But my comp doesn´t share my interest right now.

As I said not much to say about this week because not much happened. =( The ZLs are planning a Zone Activity for the last week of this month...a temple trip. I´d love to go, but at the end of the month a trip to San José is impossible. There´s no way we´ll have money enough to do it. We´ll just have to see what happens I guess.

Well I´ve spent this last week thinking about my situation and my companion´s lack of will. This shows just how much of a nerd I am when the first thing that popped into my head is a quote from Thomas Paine:

¨The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly.¨

Well, I´m definately in conflict right now. But it´s all too true. Anything and everything I´ve ever worked for was the much sweeter when it finally happened. That year long fight to get out here in the first place has made it virtually impossible to disanimate me. The 3 months of hard, hard work paid of in th baptism of Andres. And now? Truthfully this is the hardest things have been for me in the mission. This week was the first time I´ve had someone openly yell and cuss me out. Not a pleasant experience to say the least, but to ignore an insult is the true test of courage. And through it all, if by some miracle I find that family that we so desperately need right now, it´ll be reason to celebrate.
Because right now I just want someone to talk to. Who will listen with an open heart, and accept the what we have to offer. Right now that´s what I want more than anything else in the world. I just want someone to help. Because that´s what I´m here for, that´s WHO I am. And to talk to every soul that passes through the park as my comp watches from a bench and come up empty handed at the end of the day is MORE than enough reason to call it quits and go home. But I can´t do that, nor will I. If I joined my comp on the bench I´d not only let myself down, or everyone else back home, but those I was specially sent to help here. And that´s something I refuse to let happen without a fight.

*sigh* It´s been a long week. What can I say?

I hope everyone back home is doing fine. I love you all. =)
Take care and I´ll write, as always, next week. Cuidense.


Your Son,
Elder Nunie

No comments:

Post a Comment