Elder Ryan R. Nunez

Costa Rica San Jose Mission
September 2008 - September 2010

Monday, July 27, 2009

Reading, Praying, and Turtle Eggs


Hahaha, sounds like you guys are enjoying summer vacation. So you leave for Hawaii in 2 weeks? Wow, I bet Ashley´s getting really antzy to go. I´m really glad to hear Logan´s making friends in the ward, he needs that. A good confidence boost. What did you guys do for Dad´s b-day??? Anything special? I´m glad Dad´s able to keep himself busy with projects and stuff, and I bet he is too. What do I want from Hawaii??? Well since I won´t actually get it for another year or so...meh, keychain and maybe one of those louhou dolls for my car when I get home. =P I´d be content with that.
I did a little victory dance when you said you sent sour patch kids, just so you know. =D Hopefully I´ll get the package at changes.

Alright so, what´s new here...Well for starters the situation with my companion is still the same. Maradiaga just doesn´t care anymore, and his lack of decision making skills makes it worse. I´ve given up waiting for him to shape up. He´s a cool guy and we have fun, but if he´s not going to do his job and actually work while he has the chance then I´m gonna do it. Maradiaga will just have to follow my lead.
Saturday was National Service Day for Costa Rica. The 2 branches helped clean up an old folks home and the four of us helped out as well. The women painted benches while us MEN chopped down a tree, cleared out a ton of tall grass with machettes, and planted a dozen small trees. The four of us missionaries were pretty beat afterwards to say the least. But all in all it was good fun. Not much else happened this week, just work as usual.

This Saturday is the temple trip. I´m going to be pulling out money Friday from the account. I´m trying to be a little pinche this week so that I can pay for the buses with mission money, and be able to buy a few things I need at the temple store with personal cash. I´m looking forward to going to the temple again. I need the opportunity to clear my head a little and refocus, and the temple is a great place to do that.
We had lunch with the branch president, Pres. Reyneir, and his family yesterday. They´re so cool, and Pres. Reyneir is super enthusiastic, he reminds me a lot of Dad: funny, great with people, and always ready for the next task.
The closer I get with some of our menos activo families, the more I realize what a great job you and dad did raising me. I´ve taught on multiple occasions the 3 most basic principles in the gospel: read the scriptures, pray often, go to church. And every time I teach this lesson, I can´t help but think about the example you set while I was growing up. I remember when I was really little how Mom would always read us stories from the childrens´ picture version of the Book of Mormon, and how we all would always pray as a family every night before bed. Then of course there was Mom´s undying diligence of going to church every Sunday regardless of circumstances. But what I remember most of that time is how UNITED we all were. That´s what strikes home with me more than anything else. We were so much more ONE as a family in that time than any other, as far as I can remember. But it´s that feeling of unity I always stress when teaching less active families, because I see in them the same struggles we all faced together as a family. It´s all...well, I´m just really grateful for the effort you and dad put into trying to raise us kids right. For me it made the difference.

Hmmmm, well I don´t have much else to say really. Not a whole lot has been happening. I´m finally going to try mondongo next Sunday when we visit Pres. Reyneir and his family again. Oh yeah, some girl told her mom she´d start going to church again just to see me because I´m "tan guapo"...how bout them apples? I got a good laugh out of that. =P
Oh yeah, and apparently I´m humble??? Last night we were visiting a family from the branch who are having "differences" as they put it with other members in the branch. ...A situation we´re all too familiar with... Anyway as we were talking and I explained the importance of going to church not because of the people, but because of a sincere want to follow Christ, then mom replied that it´s not easy to ignore what other people say. That´s when the daughter of the family jumped in and said "That´s why we need to be humble like Elder Núñez!"
...I was a little taken aback, not gonna lie. I´ve never really seen myself as humble, I´ve just tried to do the right thing and screw up as little as possible, get along with people as best I can, yadda yadda yadda. Not that that´s always worked out for me, but at the very least I can say I tried. Not sure if that qualifies me for "humble" though.

Qué mas...oh yeah, Elder Litchfield and I had the honor of eating turtle eggs together. =P I tried turtle eggs back in Tibas, but that was a raw egg in a salsa drink that you just downed in one go. This time round was a little different. Thursday night we had dinner with our cook and Litchfield brought 2 cooked turtle eggs. I never handled a turtle egg before, it was weird. You learn in grade school the shell is like leather, but to actually feel it was interesting. To eat it we had to bite into the shell a little and suck out the liquid (it was really spicy, they cooked it in chile). Then you just opened it up and ate the core. It wasn´t too bad, but I like the salsa drink more. =P

Alright well I better jet. I love you all and I hope everyone has a great week. Changes are next week, so I´ll be emailing next Monday on whether or not I have changes. It´s about a 70% chance that I´ll be leaving, but anything´s possible. Oh yeah, there´s a book I´m wondering if you can find called "The Little Book of Missionary Reminders". I think it´s a bit older but hopefully you can find it. That´d make a cool little b-day present (ONE MONTH!). =D

Adios! Ciao! Cuidense!

Your Son,
Elder Nunie

No comments:

Post a Comment