Elder Ryan R. Nunez

Costa Rica San Jose Mission
September 2008 - September 2010

Monday, March 23, 2009

Got Lost in the Jungle Today...


Whew, another week gone. This change has flown by, I only have one full week left! I won´t know for sure until next Sunday but we figure I´m gonna be changed out this time, but we´ll see what happens. I could pull 6 months in my first area, it´s not unheard of. It´s rare, but it´s not unheard of.

Have you guys talked with the missionaries about visiting John? If you do make sure you are there with them! I´m learning things are so much easier when members are present at a lessons. The Spirit is stronger, testimonies of members are more powerful, things are just better with member. And with my current ward here we´re working to give the members ánimo for missionary work, because truth be told us missionaries can´t do this on our own. It´s like swimming up river, it just doesn´t happen.

Alright so I do have a bit of news this week. Even if I don´t change areas this time round, we more than likely will be changing houses. We´ve recently discovered that our area is twice if not 3 times bigger than what Elder DePriest had shown me when I was with him. Because of this, we usually don´t get into the house until 9 p.m. on the dot. Johnny Wong, our dueño, got use to us being in the house at 8:30 p.m. Then, there are times on the weekends we can´t come home for lunch. Apparently all this as gotten to him, and he´s not selling us food anymore. Nothing. That´s really the only reason we´re in that house to begin with, soooooo we´re going to be looking for a new place. On the other hand, we were talking to one of the APs last night, and he asked us if we would like to change wards from Barrio Garabito to Barrio Tibas, which is the currently one of the closed areas in our zone. We´ve had 2 baptisms in Tibas, Fabiola who was my first baptism and then José Chaves who we baptized Saturday, both being referrals from members, and the members have been really helpful with everything, the complete opposite of what we´re experiencing in Garabito. So no matter what, things are gonna be changing up around here. I´m gonna have to start buying groceries...weird... =P

I hit 6 months tomorrow. I can´t believe I´ve been gone for that long already, time´s passing faster than I can keep track off. These last 5 weeks have been the fastest par none though. But wow, a quarter of the mission is already past. It´s weird to think about, it really doesn´t seem that long. I think it´s all in the mindset though. If you keep thinking it´ll be forever, it will be. If you keep counting the minutes and the days things will just slow down on you. I haven´t been paying attention to the time at all, I can´t believe I´ve been gone anything longer than 2 months. I´ve come to understand it all comes down to how you think about it. Something you said in your email caught my mind. You said something about sacrificing 2 years of my life. I remember the first talk I heard at my first EFY almost 6 years ago. The speaker was saying the 2 years we serve as missionaries shouldn´t be considered a "sacrifice" by any means, but more like paying back an I.O.U. We´re blessed with so many things in our lives, freak we´re given LIVES in the first place, we owe our Father in Heaven more than all of us put together can pay back, but that doesn´t mean we can´t try to pay back the debt. And the 2 years of missionary service is one way we can.
A few more fotos from today. One is from our baptism this last weekend, and then today we went to a national park and got lost for 2 hours. It was pretty funny, walking around with machetes, screaming like wild men. Good times. =)

Anyway that´s all the news I have for the week. Enjoy the fotos, just some shots from the Temple last Wednesday. =)
I love you all and I hope everything is going well. Take care and I´ll talk to you next week!
-Elder Nunie

No comments:

Post a Comment