Elder Ryan R. Nunez

Costa Rica San Jose Mission
September 2008 - September 2010

Monday, October 19, 2009

Servir sin Pensar en lo que Va a Venir

This last week I´ve been a little distracted, not gonna lie, a talk in sacrament meeting Sunday helped me come to the following conclusion:

"Servir sin pensar en lo que va a venir."

Missionaries are always talking about what they want to do AFTER the mission. Always, without question, something is going to be said about plans for AFTER the mission. School, work, and especially girls. I´ve heard it said that no one talks more about their future wives, and at no time does anyone talk about their future wives, than a missionary in the mission field. And I can testify of that, sin duda. =P
But that´s what was bothering me throughout the week. It was sitting in the back of my mind when we weren´t teaching, until finally the answer to my prayers came to me Sunday. Serve without thought of what is to come. What happens afterwards is really just the whip cream and the cherry topping to the desert I´m making right now in the mission. I´m here to help people, to teach them, and hope that in one way or another they´re lives are changed for the better when it´s my time to leave. What happens after this isn´t all that important right now. Not to me anyways. This is the Lord´s time, and from September 24, 2008 to whatever the day is when I go home, what I do needs to be focused in what the Lord needs of me. When I´m released and no longer a missionary, THEN I can think about how to use MY time.

...Yeah I´m off the soap box...just had to let that out. =P

Sunday was full of surprises. Kenia, the lady were helping to plan her wedding and baptism, asked me to bless her baby. At first I was kind of in shock, because I´ve NEVER heard of a missionary giving a baby blessing. The bishop called Pres. Gálvez and asked if it was okay, and President gave the okay. So, I gave my first baby blessing Sunday. Tuesday night we´re having a Family Home Evening with Kenia, her soon-to-be husband Sergio, and the Baker Family from the states (Sister Baker grew up in Moscow). We just need to finalize the wedding plans and have the baptismal date solid, and then I might be able to relax some. =P

I don´t have much else to report on this week, sorry. I´ll try to make more exiciting things happen this week so I have something to write about. =P The work continues, I continue to climb hill after hill, all the while enjoying the time I have here. The ward is planning a Halloween activity, buuuuut because of the influence the Catholic Church has in this country EVERYONE thinks Halloween is a Satanic holiday that shouldn´t be celebrated. And seeing how 60% of the ward consists of gringos, everyone´s just like "Yeah, Halloween. Candy and costumes. What´s so bad about that?"

We´ll see what happens there. =P

I love you all and I hope everyone has a great week. Take care and I hope to hear from ya next week! Ciao!

Tu Hijo,
Elder Nunie

No comments:

Post a Comment