Elder Ryan R. Nunez

Costa Rica San Jose Mission
September 2008 - September 2010

Monday, June 22, 2009

Baptized by the Rain of Costa Rica


Wish Dad a happy belated Father´s Day, I´m gonna try to put a package in the mail for you guys sometime this week...or next...not entirely sure yet. Glad to hear everyone is doing well por la menos. I hope you foot heals up quickly before Hawaii Mom!

Soooo first off, none of us here in Cañas have changes so we have another 6 weeks of the Fantastic Four rocking Cañas like only we can. =P Por la menos, my comp and I are planning on 3 baptisms this change. We have on set for the 18th of July, and we´re still working with Juan Carlos and another lady named Johana that we found about 2 weeks ago. Juan Carlos was suppose to go to church with us buuuut when we passed by yesterday morning he was still sleeping... que barbaridad. Oh well, there´s always work to be done. The end of this month is the goal for Juan Carlos and Johana. Johana´s a little crazy…a little…but she´s asking the right questions and is really receptive so I have high hopes there. =)

Now this email was going to be named “Miracles” buuuuuut the title I gave it was mas tuanis and fit perfectly. You´ll see why.

Saturday was the baptism for Andres. After 3 months things were paying off. After English classes Saturday afternoon we opened up the fount, cleaned it out, and were about to fill it up when we found out the worst:
There was hardly any running water in the chapel. A Super Soaker could put out more water than the faucet in the fount was, not even joking. So we threw the hose from outside into the fount (which was putting out even less water than the faucet) and I starting filling up little trash cans with water from another faucet outside. After an hour we had maybe an inch and a half of water. It was 2 p.m. and the baptism was at 7 p.m. At this rate we were never going to fill the fount. That´s when God stepped in, having heard our pitiful prayers, and did what only He could do:

He made it rain.

I´ve seen really, REALLY hard rain here, but Saturday was the hardest storm I´ve ever seen, EVER. After an hour and a half we had 2 feet of water in the fount. I was running back and forth dragging bucket after bucket of water into the fount. I felt like Mickey Mouse in Fantasia as we tried to do all we could to fill the fount with RAIN. The rain ended around 3:30 p.m. but we still faulted a lot. We went back to trying with the little faucet outside the church and the hose but it just wasn´t doing it. Then came the rain one more time, even harder than the first. Hour and a half more and the fount was full., 90% of the water having fallen from the heavens. But it was done. Elder Maradiaga baptized Andres, I directed the meeting, and more people showed up to this one baptism than the last 4 I´ve had. But if not for the miracle of that storm, it wouldn´t have happened. I can even begin to describe how happy and grateful I was. Andres, in all honesty, was baptized by the rains of Costa Rica.

That was Saturday. Sunday we went to Upala, the closed area we´re incharge of, and meet with the family we´re teaching out there and the menas activa we visit as well. Upala is a good 2 hour bus ride from Cañas, and only an hour from Nicaragua. Just to give you an idea of how out of the way it is out there. But meeting with our family and the menas activa we set our goal for Upala as well. We´re going to try and do all we can to start up the Group in Upala otra vez, but to do it we need priesthood. That´s why Upala was closed in the first place: There´s not a soul up there with the priesthood. There´s a lot of work to do up there, and we can only visit once every 3 weeks for only 3 hours. It´s NOT going to be easy, but it´s why we´re here.

On the flip side, today is a chill P-Day for us. We don´t have anywhere to go or visit, but today is going to be weird to say the least. Why? Well, Thursday I was on divisions with Elder Litchfield and that night we got a phone call…from the APs. Our first thought was “Ummm…did we do something wrong???” But that wasn´t the case at all. Guess who´s in Costa Rica and is coming to visit Litchfield and I today with his new wife? None other than Hno. Crane, our teacher from the MTC.

…I already feel like the MTC was only like 3 months ago…yeah…

The APs gave us the number to call Hno. Crane and talk about déjà vu. Litchfield and I started laughing after we talked to Hno. Crane, it was just too weird. We´re meeting up with Hno. Crane at 1:30 p.m. today. I´ll let you know what happens next week.

As far as mail goes I haven´t seen a letter, let alone a package for 6 weeks. We got jipped this change with NO MAIL whatsoever. …Not cool… We probably won´t see mail until Zone Conference in like 2 or 3 weeks. A change without mail is a hard thing indeed, but it´ll be like Christmas when I finally get it. =D

Alright I better jet but I hope all is well back home and that you guys have a great week. Tell Logan I wish him a happy birthday and that I´m still waiting on those scripture covers for him. He´ll probably get them for his Christmas present. =P

I love you all!

Your Son,
Elder Nunie

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that God still hears the petitions of his faithful servants in that beautiful country!

    -Brent Leavitt
    Missionary to Costa Rica San José 1996-1998
    Served in Cañas in 1997 for six months

    ReplyDelete