Elder Ryan R. Nunez

Costa Rica San Jose Mission
September 2008 - September 2010

Monday, April 6, 2009

Welcome to the Jungle

I tried to email this morning but internet wasn´t responding. =(

Whew, talk about a busy week. Well here´s the update on what I´ve been up to. I went from being 10 minutes from San José centro, living in a pretty big house with a fridge full of food and the hustle and bustle of the city all around to being 4 hours from San José, my apartment is the size of the laundry room back home, and I´ve been living off peanuts and cashews that Tom´s parents sent me last week. =P
In other words, I´m once again loving life in Costa Rica. =D =D =D

My new area is Cañas of Guanacaste, a small little campo town a little smaller than Clarkston. And talk about HOT! San José is located in a valley, and it´s pretty cool most of the time. Some parts can be down right freezing even. But here? Freak, it´s so humid and hot I had trouble sleeping my first night here. It´s all good though, Cañas is one of the sickest areas in the mission, so I give thanks for that. =D Saturday morning at the church building a lizard about the size of my foot ran up to me and just stared. I laughed, nothing like that happens in the city. I´m gonna have a good time here.

The people here are also a LOT more nicer than the people in the city. The city slickers tended to be really rude at times, but the country folk are really nice and willing to listen. In my 3 days here we already have 2 fechas for baptism! YAY!

My new companion is Elder Pliego of Mexico. He´s so cool! I´ve been teaching him card games and he´s been showing me the ways of the rubix cube. I´m gonna have a good time with him, I can already tell. Also, Cañas is split into 2 areas, so Elder Pliego and I have the smaller part of Cañas while the district leader and his comp and everything else. My district leader is Elder Valerio of, guess where, CHILE! In fact he´s from a small city around Orsorno. I can´t remember where right now, I´ll have to ask him again, it starts with a B I think. Anyway, to add to it, Elder Valerio´s new companion is my buddy Elder Litchfield from the MTC! So pretty much I get to chill with an awesome group of missionaries every day at lunch. =D

Whew, so about conference. I have to say it´s a lot better in english. Elder Litchfield and I didn´t get a whole lot out of it, because they´re speaking in english but the translation is right over the top of them speaking, and it´s just a jumble of nonesense. I tried to focus on the spanish but my mind kept listening for the english and it was just hard. I was surprised, however, at how many speakers gave their talks in spanish. When that happend they zero´d the mic and it was the speaker on recording but in spanish. Elder Scott and Elder Christophersen, along with Elder Costa and another member of the Seventy gave their talks in spanish and I followed them fine. Both Elders Scott and Christophersen speak really, REALLY good spanish. Had I not heard Elder Scott speak at the MTC I might not have realized it was him speaking.
Alright so now that I´m in the campo it might be awhile till I get any letters, packages, or anything of the like. Anything like that I´ll probably get at Zone Conference or Changes Meetings. That´s a plus side to being in the city, you get your mail every week. In the campo it´s a different story.

Ummm, what day is Mother´s Day exactly? I was thinking it´s the 10th of May, pero yo no sé exacto. Also this week is going to be EXTREMLY long. Here in Costa Rica it´s Semana Santa, soooooo that means for the whole week everyone is gonna be at the beach. They changed our P-Day to Friday so we´re gonna be working today, and I absolutely hate it when they change P-Day on us. By the end of the week I´m dead tired and Monday is the day to recharge my battery. Buuuut now I have to wait till Friday, and all 4 of us here in Cañas have no idea how we´re gonna make it. It´s gonna be quite the week.
Alright I better jet but I hope all is well and everyone is doing fine. I´ll talk to you next week! Love you!
Your Son,
Elder Núñez

No comments:

Post a Comment