Elder Ryan R. Nunez

Costa Rica San Jose Mission
September 2008 - September 2010

Monday, April 13, 2009

Iguanas anyone?


Wow, you guys have had quite the week. Glad to hear the bbq had a great turn out, that´s awesome you were able to do that! Sounds like things are going well back home, which I´m glad to hear. =) And no worries about the package, send it when you can, I don´t want to be a bother about it. You guys still have other things to worry about back home so no worries, the package can wait for it´s own due time.

Well I don´t have a whole lot to touch on about this last week, with the Semana Santa going on all Elder Pliego and I could do is visit menos activos. Semana Santa is pretty much Spring Break for Costa Rica. Schools out, nobody works, and come Friday only chinese restaruants are open. =P Since working Friday would´ve been pointless they changed our P-Day only for last week, so instead of having P-Day Monday we had it Friday. So we went 2 weeks without P-Day, and come Thursday Elder Litchfield and I were both dead tired. The only nice thing about the change was we could still email Monday. Another thing that made us happy was we had P-Day Friday and then comes today, hey, it´s P-Day again! =P

I surprised Elder Pliego with how quickly I mastered the Rubix Cube. He´s now teaching me a new way to do it, and I´m back to going to bed at night with a headache. =P We´ve been having a lot of fun together though, Elder Pliego is really cool and really funny. When it comes to teaching he knows his stuff and I´m learning quite a bit from him. I think it helps that he´s a convert, we´ve talked a lot about what helped him most while he was learning about the church. He was baptized only 6 years ago, and here he is now 4 months from finishing his mission. Incredible.
Elder Pliego has been teaching me how to use the Bible more in teaching. With a lot of the people we´ve been teaching they´re all very skeptical about the Book of Mormon, and many of them have visited with missionaries in the past. One guy in particular comes to mind, Nixon, one of our baptismal dates. He told me that before, all the missionaries used the Book of Mormon but almost never used the Bible, and it gave him the impression we put the Book of Mormon above the Bible. But, when Elder Pliego came, that changed. Nixon saw that when both the Bible and the Book of Mormon are used as equals, everything makes so much more sense than with just one book. Everyone needs something different to help them on their spiritual journey, and for Nixon he just needed to see that both books are equals. As missionaries we´re taught to focus on the Book of Mormon and the Restoration because this is our unique message to the world, but at times we can forget that the Bible is there to help us teach about this message too.

No worries about food, it´s not like I eat a whole lot anyway. =P No but really I´m fine. There´s a sister that makes us lunch every day and members offer us dinner here a lot more than they did in Tibas. =P We´re going grocery shopping either this week or next so I´ll be okay, no worries. I need to eat breakfast in the mornings though, that´s a habit I´ve never really had. When I was with Elder DePriest he always made breakfast so I got into the habit a little, but neither Elder Tagliaferri and I knew how to cook much besides eggs and I´m a little too lazy to cook in the mornings in the first place. =P

What else? ...I was bit by my first dog last week. =P I just laughed, how typical a missionary gets bit by a dog. Last week was really windy, which I was perfectly fine with. The heat is a beast in the afternoon, both Elder Litchfield and I are dying come lunch time. Doesn´t help that all the houses here are built from cement. Every house is an oven, I swear. Wednesday night we were invited to a members house for dinner. They gave us so much food! I looked over at Elder Pliego and said "Elder, this is more food than I´ve eaten in the last week." His response? "I know." He didn´t think I could eat it all but I got through it. Then they gave each of us a mango double the size of my fist. I love mangos, and every time we leave a house someone gives us one. It´s awesome! =D
Also, remember when I told you about the lizard that came up to me at church? Well we were walking home for lunch Saturday and about 5 feet in front of us was an iguana the length of my arm! I just stopped walking, staring at the thing. Elder Pliego just laughed and said "That´s normal." It was so HUGE! It moved really fast too, because as we got closer it got scared and booked it through a chain link fence. Such a huge lizard. There´s a neighborhood in my area called Barrio Berolice that reminds me so much of Fort Hall. The only difference is there´s no grafiti. =P But everytime I go out there it´s like I´m walking around Fort Hall, helps make the area feel like home. =)
Elder Valerio is from Valdivia, that´s the one. He´s so funny, we taught an english class together on Saturday, it was pretty fun. His english isn´t bad, he just needs practice, but he understands pretty much everything. He only speaks to me in english so he can practice, which is nice because I have a hard time understanding his Chilean accent. =P Elder Valerio has been teaching me some Chilean words and phrases too.
Well that´s all I got for the week. I hope life is well back home and everyone is okay. Take care and I´ll write next week! Love you!
Your Son,
Elder Núñez

No comments:

Post a Comment