Elder Ryan R. Nunez

Costa Rica San Jose Mission
September 2008 - September 2010

Sunday, July 11, 2010

New Lessons in Patience

July 4th email

You´re right, I have been a little frustrated this last couple of weeks. The more we do, the fewer the results. If I hadn´t been blessed with a fun companion, I would´ve tore my hair out weeks ago. Reading through old letters I´ve received as well as continuing in my studies of the scriptures helps me with the daily dose of ánimo that I need most right now, a blessing I am truely grateful for.

This last wek Elder Centeno and I have been praying and playing around with all the callings in the branch, trying to find what the Lord wants to happen. The people and the callings they have now just isn´t working, especially with the youth and primary leaders. I´ve really hit the point we´re I´ve accepted one of my old district leader´s mottos: "If they won´t go to church, find people who will."
Sunday just made me want to cry. We started sacrament meeting with only 8 people present (that´s including me and my companion). I can´t even find words to describe how awful I felt. I don´t know what more we could´ve done. We visited everyone during the week, called everyone Saturday night, we even called people early Sunday morning because we knew they would sleep in. And yet nobody came, and noday cared. Or so it would seem that way. This week we´re dedicating every free moment we have in finding people who are willing to do things the way the Lord wants it done. People who echo the Prophet Joseph´s personal rule: When the Lord commands, do it.

Changes were today. Elder Centeno and I will be together until mid-August, which I´m perfectly fine with. We´re having fun, and although things aren´t going the way we want them to, it´s good to have someone of good humor around to joke around with and lighten the mood. Everyone else int he zone has changes though. In fact, Elder Centeno and I are the only missionaries in the Zona Sur today. Everyone else is in San José. =P

Last night my companion and I revised our plans for the week. I will not allow another Sunday like yesterday to happen ever again. I won´t do it. Of those eigth in church, two of them weren´t even members from San Vito. There´s a student couple from Arizona doing a study here, so they´ll be with us until August. It´ll be nice to have some new faces around for a while at least.

Alright, there´s not much else going on here. I did find out that Elder Falabella of the Seventy will be visiting us on the 22nd. I´m looking forward to that. It´s been a while since we last had a General Authority visit us.
Take care and have a great week. Tell Grandma thank you for the money, I really appreciate it. =)

Tu Hijo,
Elder Nunie

P.S.- Mom and Logan: How are you two doing on your Book of Mormon reading?

1 comment:

  1. Estimado Elder Nunez... Como estas hermanito?? I hope all is well for you. I enjoyed catching up on your blog today. It's crazy to think that we've been gone from CR for close to 7 months now. I can only imagine the experiences that have transpired during that time frame. Please keep in touch as we think the world of you. You are a great missionary and a great example to my kiddos.

    We love you and wish you well!

    -Rand

    ReplyDelete