Elder Ryan R. Nunez

Costa Rica San Jose Mission
September 2008 - September 2010

Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year's Breakdown

Not gonna lie. We had an off start to the new year.

New Year´s Eve we had a bit of a scare. Our golden family, Ulises and Iraydelis, called us in the morning to have us pass by and have dinner with them. When we got to the house that night, Elder Logan and I both felt something was wrong. Just looking at the house we could feel something had happened. Turns out Ulises has some drinking issues they never told us about. I talked with Ulises, who felt absolutely horrible for drinking in the first place, while Elder Logan talked with Iraydelis. We managed to convince Iraydelis not to kick Ulises out and to talk things over. Elder Logan and I felt depressed for the rest of the night seeing our favorite family crash like that.

New Year´s Day we went out to this little secluded piece of paradise along the river. One of the hermanas in the branch, la Hermana Patricia and her little daughter, Iraydelis, her daughter Karolay, and also Ulises took us out there. Iraydelis was still infruiated with Ulises, which made things a little awkward. That night we made New Year Resolutions with them on what they´re going to change and what their goals for the year are. Iraydelis and Ulises are started to work things out little by little. They both came to church yesterday and were acting like husband and wife again (although they still need to get married).

That´s about all the news of what´s been going on here. Had some pretty hot weather, but nothing like what I was fighting with in Cañas. I will say that I´ve never eaten so many coconuts in my life. =P The people here give us coconuts everytime we leave a house, coconut trees are literally EVERYWHERE. They also use coconut milk and everything they make. They have a dish called "Rice and Bean". Yes, it´s in english. Most people don´t realize that it is here. Anyway it´s just rice and beans mixed together and cooked with coconut milk, but it is SOOOOOOO GOOD!

I liked your New Year Resolutions. =P My New Year Resolution is to do my studies EVERYDAY. Sundays, because of church, doesn´t give us a lot of time to study. Mondays, P-Day, is a day of which no missionary I´ve met yet takes time to study. And Tuesdays, with district meetings in the morning, take away our study time. That was part of my thinking on giving Logan my Book of Mormom Blitz challenge: To get him to start reading, and also to keep me studying on those days where it seems there´s no time. If I fix that now, I won´t have a problem keeping my studies up when I get home.

Alright, I better wrap this up. We have to buy some food today. =D I love you all and I hope this first week of the new year sets a good pace for the rest of the year. I can´t wait to hear from you all next week!

Tu Hijo,
Elder Nunie

No comments:

Post a Comment