Elder Ryan R. Nunez

Costa Rica San Jose Mission
September 2008 - September 2010

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Zona Canas: Resucitado

This week was very, VERY confusing. I hope you have time, because it´s quite the story.

Sunday was nuts. We had to figure out what house we were living in and then take EVERYTHING out of the La Union house and move it all into the Cañas house. That meant I needed to pack as well. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday was spent visiting people for Maradiaga to say his goodbyes and take fotos. Wednesday afternoon we left for San José and spent the night in the mission house. There was quite the party going on there for the new missionaries, complete with piña coladas, shishkubabs (spelling???), and yeah...it was pretty crazy.
Thursday was Changes Meeting, and Elder Litchfield and I recieved our new companion Elder Stevens from Mississippi...never could spell that state. =P Anyway we made the 4 hour bus ride back to Cañas, unpacked our stuff and made it home. At 9 p.m. we started planning for Friday when the phone rang.

It was Pres. Gálvez. And he wanted to talk to me.

Saturday morning I had to move all my things BACK into the La Union house.

Saturday morning I had to infrom the branch president of La Union that he has missionaries to work with.

Saturday morning I recieved my junior companion.

I´m back and going on 6 months in Rama La Union. I´m with Elder Zuñiga, who is also from Costa Rica. He served 9 months in the Guatamala North Mission, but some things went down back home (he´s the only member in his family) and he came back to Costa Rica to try and help. Pres. Gálvez met with Elder Zuñiga and told him he should finish his mission. That´s when Pres. Gálvez called me.

For the first time since I came to this area, I feel like my companion has the same drive to work as I do. Elder Zuñiga is a great teacher, he´s great with members, and we work great together. Finally, we can start to change the mentality of the area. Finally we can show the mission that you CAN baptize in Cañas. I´ve got good feelings about this change. We have a good amount of people who can easily make it to the waters of baptism, and a companionship ready to do it. I feel reanimated and I couldn´t be happier.

With the death of Elder Gonzalez (he ended the mission) and Elder Maradiaga getting changed out, Litchfield and I felt our "Zona Cañas" had died with them. But now? I´d say Zona Cañas is back and stronger than ever.

This week is going to be a little crazy. We have divisions with the Zone Leaders Thursday and Friday. Elder Zalava is still ZL and, drumroll please, Elder Jones has joined him. Elder Jones was my 1st district leader when I got into the country. =D
Saturday we have Zone Conference, but, we have to go to San José. Another change of Pres. Gálvez. We´ve got a lot to do and very little time to do it before Conference.

I hope everyone back home is safe and enjoying the end days of summer.
Mom and Ashley, have fun in Hawaii! Can´t wait for the pictures!
Dad, I hope your doing okay and enjoy your 2 weeks free of women. ;)
Logan, have fun and keep up with the exercise. You´ll be glad you did.
And Derek, take care of yourself and remember: Life after high school isn´t a walk in the park. Just roll with the punches and learn the best you can to make your mark in the world. I know you can do it.

I love you all and I can´t wait to hear from you next week! Hasta luego!

Su Hijo,
Elder Nunie

2 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like you're having some amazing experiences. Josh Richardson's Dad just turned me on to these blogs, and I'll be checking in from now on.

    - Zach

    P.S. I'm collecting all of the Heroes seasons on bluray, so we'll have a marathon when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Elder. My name is CEdric Papa. I brought a group of humanitarian workers called Spreading Smiles" to Canas, and several other areas in Guanacast last December. We worked with President Arbizu- he was amazing- and now I need to contact your new mission president President Galvez. Can you give me his email or give him mine:
    Thanks:
    Cedric.Papa@gmail.com

    www.spreadingsmiles.org

    ReplyDelete